Tuesday, March 02, 2010

red hat


red hat
Originally uploaded by meganhoover

This is so weird but I had to share what I did. I use the little Crystal Light individual drink packets to flavor bottled water sometimes. The box they come in is so cute and tiny and when I went to toss it in the recycling, I thought, "What if this could be turned into a little painting?" Like many of us artsy types, I've painted on cardboard before, but not like this. I stuffed 3 plastic grocery bags in it to fill it up (I figure that's 3 fewer bags in the landfill), sanded the outside, taped off the ends (masking tape) and gessoed the whole thing (except the back). Then I painted a quick face and now I've got a little painting that can stand on a shelf. I thought this was so cool (it's probably nothing new but it's new to me!) I love the upcycling aspect of this more than anything.  What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. This is great Mwgan! even down to the bags inside : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:23 PM

    so stinkin cool. thanks for the stuffing tip, too. i LOVE to recycle. combine that with paint and i am one happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Great way to recycle too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is great!! I love the little chunky-ness of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's fantastic and oh, so creative! I usually just cut up packaging boxes and use them for postcards and such but this is just so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well HELLO..."now" famous artist!!! Megan...you are so unique and I LOVE your BIZARRE BEAUTIES.....gee, maybe I can learn to love myself!!...HA! I was at your site earlier today then couldn't find it again!!! But now I have re-found it and am bookmarking it twice!...no interruptions now....to gaze a while....I am so proud of you....and so excited...look how much work you have produced!!!....LOVE LOVE it ALL!....Congratulations!! Love in Christ!! sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to tell you how adorable and fun I think the little boxes are!!!! Something we could also do with kids....I am a big kid and will be trying one! Wonderful!! Get well! Spring is on it's way....yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH sherry!!! thanks for your wonderfully uplifting comments! I miss my gut art gals so much and I've joined little glimpses studio to try to get that comraderie back! Anyway, glad to hear from you!
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just crazy fun - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this so much. Now all my "To Go" juice thingies are sitting in a cup. I just had to have the boxes. I made two this week and had so much fun! Thank you for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails